You have decided to post an ad and you a found a buyer. Now it’s time to say goodbye to your old car.
Following are the points you must know while selling your car.
- Make sure that the sale is secure. If you have accepted the payment through a cashier's check, follow the steps for Safe Payment section to ensure that the payment is valid before you sign over the title.
- If you're dealing with an out-of-city buyer, arrange for that person to pick up the vehicle, or send it through a professional delivery service. Delivery services transport vehicles on large trucks. Prices vary depending on the length of the transport, the vehicle's weight, and distance to the place, but the cost usually starts at $500. Work out the cost of delivery and payment issues with the buyer in advance.
- In most of the states, license plates stay with the seller, not with the car, though California is a notable exception; check travel-services provider AAA's Digest of Motor Laws for your state's specific restrictions.
- If the plate remains with the original owner of the car, so you don't retain a legal tie to the car. If the plate is with the car, you need to fill out the proper paperwork at the Department of Motor Vehicles for the number plate’s transfer to the new owner.
- Call your insurance company and check whether the vehicle has been removed from their policy or not.
- If the buyer chooses to pay by money order, follow the same safe-payment guidelines for accepting checks. Verify the name and amount with the issuing bank, and request a money order from a local bank whenever it is possible.
- As long as you were honest with the information of your car in the selling process, you are not culpable for anything once the sale is complete. In most of the states, the law assumes that private-party sales carry "as is" status. Have the both parties and sign off before the transaction is complete.
- Seller (1)
- Cars Scams (1)
- Leasing Car (1)
- Car Financing (1)
- Cars in New York (1)
- Best Car Sharing (1)
- 2017 Nissan Maxima (1)
- Car Loan or Finance (1)
- Car’s Resale (1)
- Buying a Car (1)
- Jaguar I-Pace (1)
- Cool Climate Control Features (1)
- Prevent Scratches and Swirls (1)
- Test Drive (1)
- Spacious SUV Cars (1)
- Sports Cars (1)
- Safe Cars (1)
- Gas Cars (1)
- Self-Driving Cars (1)
- Used Car (1)
- Sell Car (1)
- car resale value (1)
- New Tire (1)